Allen's e-mail address

robert.pickett@myldsmail.net

Monday, May 3, 2010

It's May Already

Dear Everyone,

Yup, you guessed it, another crazy week. I guess I will just go through the week and if you get lost, I am sorry. So last Monday we just did the P day thing and we played ping pong again. This time, I lost pretty bad but I think I am getting better. Then Tuesday we had District meeting in Bragado. It was cool but just like any other District meeting. After the meeting, we had divisions with the elders of Bragado because that is where our district leader is. So I stay in Bragado while the district leader went to 9 de Julio.

I was with an elder named Elder Freidbaum. He is a great missionary but has the worst Spanish accent in the world. So when he would teach, the investigator would look at him kind of funny, then he would look at me and ask to translate. So I was the translator during our divisions. We had divisions from Tuesday after District meeting until Thursday midday. Usually they are not that long but since we are out in campo, we don’t want to change then travel the next day to change so we stay together an extra day. So while I was in Bragado, the DL was in my area, like I already said. While he was there, he ate all my food! Drank all my juice! I was so looking forward to eat all the food when I came back. But no, it was all gone. I was so upset. I didn’t eat a lot of his food because I felt bad for taking something that wasn’t mine. Next time, I won’t buy a lot of food so that way he won’t eat everything.

So I got back to my area Thursday afternoon just in time to have a member of the district presidency/ senior missionaries come do a visit in 9 de Julio. We had a meeting with him and our elder’s quorum president and we talked about how we needed to start really pushing and focusing on the home teaching because no one does it. Then right after that we went to the house of Tomás Juarez and his family. He is the one that got sustained to be an Elder. So we ordained him to be an Elder in the Priesthood. It was really a great moment because they have been struggling for the past two years with jobs and attending church. But these last four or five months, they have attended every Sunday except for one or two. They both have callings now and they are looking forward to the day to get sealed in the temple and the whole family. They are really great. This is the same family that I sent a picture of the dad baptizing his son. Do you still have it? Well, it’s that family and that guy that got the priesthood.

Then Friday, we had ourselves a branch activity. We watched a movie and had snacks. We watched the movie, “The Other Side of Heaven”. Great missionary movie. My companion had never seen it and he thought it was awesome and so did the people who were there to watch. We had a total of 9 members then us two missionaries. And we bought a lot of food so now we have extra. Go figure. Then Saturday we did a lot of work. We did all the work that we lacked thus far. And I think that’s all for Saturday.

Sunday, we did the church thing but with some excitement. We had a member of the Mission presidency come out with a patriarch. We had two members who received their Patriarchal Blessings. Since it was fast and testimony meeting, we had people go and bear their testimony. The last testimony was the patriarch. Oh man. He is so awesome. Let’s just say, he spoke with some power and authority that it left everyone silent. Even the little children were silent. Afterward, I had the grand opportunity to speak with him a little because he was waiting for the counselor in the mission presidency to finish with an interview he had to do. He gave me some great council on what to do with the branch. He reminded of Grandpa Packard I think only because Grandpa Packard is a patriarch and always has good advice.

Then after church, we went to the house of a member to eat. We had arroz con pollo, the yellow kind… I know what you guys are thinking. “How did he eat it?” Well, for those who don’t know, that is my least favorite meal of all of history and time. But for some reason or another, I ate it. And it was good too. To make it more interesting, there was chicken stomach in it. Hmmm. I had never eaten chicken stomach before and my comp just gave me the I don’t think you should eat that look. So when the hermana asked if I wanted to try, I said Sure. So I tried it and the first couple bites weren’t bad, until I ran out of sauce to eat it with. To describe to you what was going through my head: the meat was bluish purple and very thick, kinda rubbery and takes a long time to masticate. So when she served me more stomach, I had to eat it. So I did. Eating that stomach reminded me of eating morcilla. Good to start and it just goes downhill from there. With this same family, we have eaten cow tail and cow throat. The throat wasn’t bad but the tail kinda freaked me out. Just some of the weird stuff we eat out here. Oh, I have also eaten pig the still had the skin and hair on it and the fat and stuff. Yeah, I was speechless too. And that was the week. Crazy week.



So I would love to thank My mother and father for writing. And Grandpa Pickett. I always love to hear from you because you were a missionary also down here. Happy Birthday to Grandpa Packard and Christian this week. I didn’t forget.

So this coming Sunday I will be calling home. Now, I only have 40-45 minutes this call. The last one we kinda talked a bit too long. So only 40-45 minutes this time. I will be calling at 5 pm your time. 8 pm my time. Deal? So 5 o’clock mountain standard time I will be calling. So family, get ready because I am going to be rocking the Spanish. Anyway, I love you and I’ll talk to you Sunday.

Love,

Elder Pickett

No comments:

Post a Comment

General Conference Highlights